Bingo is a quintessential game of chance, played with numbers that are drawn at random to be matched against allotted numbers on card matrices. Bingo was originally played on printed paper and card stocks, but the rise of technology has simultaneously given rise to online Bingo options. Even though the online bingo market is growing very fast, only 1% of land-based bingo players have moved on to playing online bingo! The following is a collection of fun, Bingo facts taken from the BingoSites.me.uk infographic, which can be found at http://bingosites.me.uk!
- There are about 100 million Bingo players worldwide!
- Over 80% of Bingo players are women in the 30- 50 age group.
- The other 20% are men in the same age range. The game of Bingo originated in Italy, circa 1530. The game started as a state-run lottery called, “Lo Gioco del Lotto d’Italia.” The same lotto can still be played every Saturday in Italy to this day!
- In the 1700’s, Bingo made its way to France. This alternative version used a playing card of nine columns and three rows, with each row made up of four free spaces. This Bingo-based craze soon left impressions all over Europe! Bingo as it exists today was popularized by Edwin S. Lowe, an enterprising toy salesperson from New York. An onlooker at a county carnival in Atlanta, Georgia, Lowe first witnessed this game that was originally called “Beano.” The name “Beano” stemmed from the fact that players used dried beans to mark their cards. When a player completed a full line of numbers, he or she would shout “Beano!” to win their prize.
- Lowe observed that these players were captivated by this game of luck, and decided to introduce the game to his friends back home. During one game of play, it is said that a lady was so excited that she yelled “Bingo!” instead of “Beano!” and so was born the game of Bingo.
- The popularity of bingo games rapidly increased through the 1930’s and beyond. Churches and social clubs realized the fundraising potential and the craze continued to grow across the country.
- For women between the ages of 20 and 25 in the UK, bingo has become their most popular leisure activity. 85% of online bingo players are women.
- About 50,000 of the approximately 3 million land-based bingo players have moved to playing bingo online.
- 90% of these are below the age of 50, which calls into question the notion that bingo is only a game for the elderly. Contrary to popular belief, research shows that there is only a relatively small number of bingo players over the age of 65.
- Of the online bingo players 20% have been playing for less than 2 years, 20% have been playing for less than 5 years, and 40% have been playing for more than 5 years.]
- 69.2% of online bingo players choose 75 ball bingo, while 30.8% prefer to play 90 ball Bingo.
- 83% of online bingo players engage in other activities whilst playing online bingo.
- About 85% of bingo players play online bingo and more than 50% of the online bingo players are so dedicated and love the games so much that they play every single day.
The advent of the Internet has led to virtual bingo options, accessible anywhere with a World Wide Web connection. For quality bingo entertainment within the comfort of your own home, visit http://bingosites.me.uk/ and browse their extensive collection of top Bingo sites today!